A Beehive of Industry: Boosters and the Push for Eastern Capital
In January 1907, a new weekly paper, The Interlaken, made its first appearance in Seattle. Published for four years, The Interlaken aimed to cover business, real estate, social activity and all manner of local news in the Green Lake, Fremont, Latona, Brooklyn and Ravenna neighborhods. It also sought to promote both the upcoming Alaska Yukon Pacific Exposition and a hoped for ship canal linking Lake Washington to Lake Union and, by extension, the Puget Sound.
This exhibit explores the push for investment in north Seattle by documenting articles, advertisements and editorials advocating for eastern capital. It also highlights conflicts over development and change that occurred during the first decades of the twentieth century.